10 January, 2008

Things Learned in 2007

1. People can be blessed by you simply being an amazing roommate. Spring of 2007 I had the best roommate possible. Now don't get me wrong, I've had lots and lots and lots of roommates--many of which I would count as great friends but Dara Lyons rose above all in her ability to be an amazing roommate. Not only was she respectful of my things, my space, and every space we shared she was also extremely giving and unselfish. Any time she would cook she would be ready to share. She wrote me notes and left me small thoughtful gifts that she thought would brighten my day. She never kept a record of whose turn it was to clean the kitchen or take out the trash. If it needed doing and she was able to do it, she would. Her way of roommate-ing blessed me in a million ways. In Dara's life, actions really do speak louder than words. Her life truly speaks.
2. So many college or amateur performers are afraid of the "rejection" they fear they will experience in professional theatre. For the talented, this fear is completely unfounded. With a bigger pond comes more opportunity! In college each semester there are limited opportunities to perform--maybe 2 or 3 at the most. But in the real world, auditions and cast lists don't have near as much weight or importance because there is always another opportunity. There is always another audition. Actors have to be confident yet humble enough to handle rejection.
3. Lizards are EVERYWHERE in Florida. Who knew?
4. Leaving college isn't so bad. Facebook helps.
5. Asians leave fitting rooms a hot mess. I'm not trying to racial profile--but seriously. I worked at a high end retail store in Orlando, FL where I encountered international tourists on virtually a daily basis. Maybe in the far east they have different etiquette regarding dressing rooms. Here in the US it's NOT ok to try 25 items on and leave the $2000 worth of clothing in a pile on the floor. NOT ok.
6. British people are the nicest, most polite on earth. I've never encountered a rude brit. We could all take a cue from their people skills. Cheers!
7. Thick skin is an incredible asset gained from having to deal with ridiculous superiors.
8. I care about politics--when I feel like it makes a difference. Hooray for election years. And go Ron Paul. Donate!
9. I can get by on not much of an income, but $10 an hour is waayyyyy less than I thought it was.
10. If you think a guy might be gay, he really might be.
11. Having your script memorized before rehearsals begin is not only impressive, it's a necessity in displaying professionalism.
12. I would really like a job with 5 digits and benefits.
13. What you hear about people--when their reputations preceed them--may not be entirely true, but it's probably mostly true.
14. Nobody can or should tell you what you CAN'T do until your potential is TRULY tapped into.
15. Sometimes people will surprise you--but sometimes they won't.
16. The end is always the beginning of something else. And it may not be precisely what you were hoping for, but it's still most likely great--it's probably all in your perspective.
17. I don't buy in wholeheartedly to "The Secret" but I DO think people can sense if you're a "yes" person or a "no" person. "Yes" people are positive, optimistic, doers. They make things happen. "No" people always find a reason/excuse that something can't be done. They're watchers. Yes people experience more positive things in life. Everyone in life is either in the audience or on the stage. And everyone DESERVES to be on the stage of their own life! Hello! I've had so many people this year tell me how much they admire that I'm "making it happen" for myself. If I can, you can too!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hil -

This is my favorite post of yours-to date! Hilary Sutton - you are a diva, one of the brightest and most fun-loving young women I have come across. Congratulations on what you learned in 2007 - God is so good. Love you and miss you - HLB

p.s. - I could have told you about those darn lizards!!
p.p.s. - your sister was that type of roommate to me - a blessing :)