17 February, 2009

nyc.1

Hello.

I’m writing this evening from my friend’s apartment on the East side of Manhattan at 60th and 2nd. If you didn’t know, when rattling off locations like that it’s always the street first, avenue second. Little NYC tidbit for ya…

I’M IN NYC!!!!!!!!

Just got here Saturday. I took the train from Lynchburg to DC (which I will say, was delightful in that it arrived an hour early and I slept the ENTIRE way) then I took a bus from DC to NYC—which only cost $20! Totally worth it. Bolt Bus free wireless!

Sunday morning I had a callback for the national tour of Hairspray. We did the same dance I learned at the callback in Atlanta—which is such a good thing b/c I’m like mentally handicapped when it comes to learning new choreography. I rocked it out and the choreographer and directors seemed to really enjoy me. I didn’t get asked to stay and read this time which was kinda a bummer. But I found out later from my friend who is on the tour that they’re simply not looking to immediately hire girls. So it wasn’t my talent that kept me from getting a job immediately it was simply that there wasn’t anything available that I’d be right for. Wah wah.

Sunday afternoon Patric and I went over to Union Square and to Soho. Both of those areas I reallllly like. In Union Square we stopped by “Crumbs” a fantastic little cupcake bakery. And if yall know me well you know that icecream gets thumbs down but cake/cupcakes/brownies/cookies get BIG THUMBS UP! So we got delicious gourmet cupcakes and ate them in the park and watched dogs do funny things.

Then we went on to meet up with some friends in Soho. I got to see the Soho Anthro which was nice but not the most exciting Anthro I’ve been to (I’ve yet find one cooler than the one in Nash). We also went in some other designer stores and we ran into Josh Hartnett and Sabra who won “So You Think You Can Dance” last year.

Yesterday I spent the middle of the day at a Starbucks on 87th and Lex working on some classwork for my first graduate business class. It’s called Organizational Behavior and it’s basically all about psychology in the workplace. I love when theoretical meets practical. It’s actually useful! Then last night I ventured over to the upper west side where I am likely subleasing in March. The apartment comes fully-furnished and includes a bulldog named Hoover. He’s funny and hopefully he won’t eat me.

Today I’ve spent my time with one of my best friends Katie Gray who also just moved here. We both moved to New York from Nashville independently. I did on Saturday and she did yesterday. Crazy right? We went to an American Apparel and a brick-oven pizza place and we got a subway map. I’m learning I prefer buses to subways. I like to see everything I’m passing even if it’s a slower mode of transportation. When you’re not in a rush you’re not in a rush, ya know?

Now I’m blogging to you b/c I was reading “Type At Work” and it was making me drowsy. Tomorrow I am going to hurry up and wait at an equity audition for a theatre season in Pennsylvania. It’s a union call and since I’m not in the union it means I might get seen. I’m taking a book and using my time practically though. I just hate that I have to get up at 6 to maybe get seen for an audition. It’s the price you pay though. Tomorrow night Patric and I are reuniting with our friend Maura who lives on the upper west side. Then Thursday I have some more auditions and I need to write a paper for my new class. And then I’m tied up most all of the weekend with my play reading for the “Zero to Sixty in One Page” play festival. I perform there on Sunday. Pretty stoked. Oh and I also get to see my friend Ale from Orlando who is in town for a callback for the Broadway show “In the Heights.”

And that concludes my first New York update! Holla back!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hil, I am so so excited for you (and only a little jealous)! Gourmet cupcakes are on my list of favorite things so go eat one for me (since, as you know, Lynchburg is devoid of cupcakeries). I love reading about your career and I can't wait to come up and see you on Broadway...which I know will be soon!

Ashli said...

I'm thrilled you're living the life Hilz! And I'm maybe a little bit happy that I broke your Josh Hartnett sighting to the blogging world before you did. Ha!

Anonymous said...

new york jargon sounds so cool. "upper west side", "soho", etc. makes me want to move there. i'm afraid after my inaugural visit next week, I will REALLY want to!

Hilary said...

Jeffrey, if a fast pace gets you excited there's nowhere faster than this City. It's strangely exhilarating.

Katie I will def eat some cupcakes for you!! There is a little deli called "Magnolia Foods" over by Randolph Macon that I know has cupcakes sometimes and I've heard they're good. It's worth checking out. It's off of Rivermont.