21 July, 2009

15 Books

Have you guys seen that trend on facebook where you're supposed to make a list of 15 influential books in your life and give virtually no thought to what comes to mind? Well I made one just now and I'm posting it here instead. :-)

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
4. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
5. Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner
6. A Little Bit Wicked by Kristin Chenoweth
7. On Writing Well by William K. Zinsser
8. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
9. Walking on Water by Madelein L'Engle
10. Tess of the D'urbevilles by Thomas Hardy
11. The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
12. Failing Forward by John Maxwell
13. The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews
14. Sacred Marriage by Gary L. Thomas
15. I Married Adventure by Luci Swindoll

5 comments:

Kate said...

I read Girl Meets God two years ago, per your suggestion. [When we were living together, do you remember?] I adore that book.

There are others on your list that I read in school and some I have never heard of. I will have to investigate those!

Unknown said...

How is The Outliers? I've read a few articles by Malcolm Gladwell and have heard about the book. I might have to pick it up when I'm on the road.

Hilary said...

KT: please do investigate!! for a married person "sacred marriage" would be a great, great read. I read it when I lived in Colorado. The premise is that marrying someone is the ultimate unselfish act. It's good stuff.

MBA: The Outliers is pretty fantastic. I love anthropology and history and it's interesting to read about various people groups and why they are where they are. I particularly liked the chapter on Jewish lawyers in Manhattan. Do pick it up when you get a chance.

Hilary said...

Matt, i think I just assumed you're the Matt that's related to me but word on the street is that you're not. So, sorry for the initials that aren't yours. Harris, is it? :)

Unknown said...

Yep, this is Matt Harris. Sorry for the confusion. :)