22 August, 2009

Hey yall!

So lately I’ve been traveling a bit. It’s possible—no, quite likely—that you don’t know what state I’m in right now. Well, I can’t be sure either really. I’m actually on a bus somewhere between New York and Washington D.C. I haven’t been paying close attention to the extent that I would know what state I’m in. So if you do know what state I'm in that's AMAZING. How did you do that?

August has felt a bit like a world tour. I flew to Nashville from New York on August 5th. Stayed for a week. Flew to Orlando for 5 days. Flew back to Nashville. Worked a day at Anthropologie. 36 hours later drove to Lynchburg. Stayed in Lynchburg for approximately 27 hours then drove to DC. Caught a bus to Manhattan. Stayed in Manhattan another 36 hours or so and now I’m headed back to DC. Originally I had planned on staying in Manhattan all weekend but I’m ready for a break from traveling and to see my family and friends. So that all made me wanna hurry back down to VA. So now it’s Saturday morning and well, afternoon now I suppose and I’m back on the bus headed to DC. I’ll spend the next 24ish hours hanging out with Leslie and then I’ll be back to Lynchburg until Tuesday AM. Then I’m in Nashville for 2 weeks. Then back to the Burg to actually get some quality time with the family (since things have been so rushed and random) and then I’ll go to Charlotte for SETC where hopefully I will wow a few directors who want to give me money in return for me singing/acting/dancing.

So ya know…that’s pretty much what’s going on with me.

The next few weeks have me applying for some office-y type jobs in Nashville. I still intend on working at Anthro and princessing at parties but those aren’t the most reliable forms of income so I want a 9 to 5. Also so I can sing this song and do these awesome dance moves every morning:



Meanwhile I’ve been thinking about an MFA in Acting or Musical Theatre for fall 2010…think I may look into admissions requirements. I wish more schools offered this program but there’s really not that many! The few that peek (why do I always spell that wrong? Oh English...) my interest are The Catholic University of America (in DC), UNC Chapel Hill, UVA, University of Central Florida, and of course the more amazing than amazing programs in NYC. Without a BFA it may be all but impossible to get in but it is absolutely worth investigating.

So my world tour is wrapping up on Tuesday and I have to tell you how full it makes my heart to have seen so many scattered friends over the past 3 weeks. I love you guys a lot. Mush mush mush. BYE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you want to try grad school, look at both URTA auditions and SETC's grad auditions. I've done both. URTA is expensive, kinda unorganized, but their programs are all pretty solid. Don't worry about the BFA thing. I know plenty of BAers (many not in theatre) who have gone on to MFA programs.
URTA has a stupid screening audition the day before you can audition for the schools. The two big pieces of advice I have are:
1. If you have schools you want to go to, then make appointments with them outside of any group auditions you may attend. That way you WILL get seen.
2. If you don't get passed on through a screening, or dont get in a school, then don't fret. You are talented and get work. I auditioned once at SETC and 3 times at URTA. I never got an offer from any of the URTA schools. In fact, while at Orlando Shakes I auditioned for URTA in Chicago and got passed on to the final. The next year I went again, had the same two auditors in the screening process and did not get passed on. Apparently having 6 more credits from two new companies (including mmt) made me less worthy of grad school.

To make a long story short (too late)
Go for it! Have fun (as much as auditioning can be) and don't put much value into what the outcome is. There are a lot of good programs and you have a lot of time to pursue an MFA.


Matty