31 March, 2005

Priorities...Personal Standards...and the Group

As written in my journal a while ago....

I have noticed as of late that the phrase “You are who you associate with,” holds more truth than I previously realized. Not only do I adopt every phrase and inflection that my friends use in daily conversation, I have also been influenced by their worldviews, their character, and their attitudes. My friends enjoy a good time. A good conversation. Some good music. We love to laugh. Love to be entertained. Love to meet new, interesting people. My friends do not lack authenticity, warmth, and the ability to include others. My friends do have a common flaw in complacency regarding spirituality. As a whole they (we) have become satisfied people. Satisfied with compartmentalized Christianity. Christianity that is not an ever present aspect that influences our every move, word, and breath. Instead Christianity is a small aspect that puts us into a certain subculture where we don’t have sex before marriage, try to keep drinking to a minimal, and pray before meals. Is this an existence revolutionized by a relationship with the Christ? I don’t think it is. I love my friends. I love having a “core group” of people. But I don’t want to exist that way. I want my relationship with Christ to be my most influential aspect of life, that pours into every relationship, every conversation, and every decision. I want my life to exemplify the scripture written by Paul, “To LIVE is CHRIST and to die is gain” (emphasis mine). Lord, thank you for planting a desire in me “to live is Christ.” Now I need your help living it.

1 comment:

John C. said...

Hilary, I'm so stoked you have a journal. For whatever reason, God saw fit to equip you with a pair of x-ray vision goggles (built in no less) to perceive the world. You see black and white where mere mortals see grey. On top of that, you spell out your thoughts very eloquently. Brevity, conciseness.. it's like you're a journalism/english major. :)

As for this entry's content, I agree. I think your appraisal is spot on. You definitely call a spade a spade and that's challenging in a good way. You definitely have an element of Prophet in you. I think you are a catalyst spiritual growth amongst your circle of friends. You have more leadership skills than I think you realize. Perhaps it's choosing you though you wouldn't necessarily choose it? And perhaps others need to take more leadership as well. "With great power comes great responsibility, right?" Something like that. :)

Looking forward to more entries. See you.