23 October, 2005

Oh, and a question...

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the topic of "guarding your heart." Growing up in youth group, reading books like "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" I had always heard that young people should "guard their heart" in relationships....and not just "give it away." This past summer when I was studying at Focus some of my professors were adamantly against this "guarding your heart" that Joshua Harris and his cronies speak of...seems that C.S. Lewis agrees with my professors: If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. --C.S. Lewis
Lately I've had a solid 5 or 6 people implore me to "guard my heart." What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so...yeah...i was definitely one of those people who suggested that guarding your heart was a good idea... and maybe after reading your article i'd like to change my advice :) when it comes to love and relationships, you can only discern for yourself how much to love and trust...of course, you want to be careful, but loving without limitation, constraint or condition is definitely the way to reap the same in return :) love you hil- thanks for reminding me to guard my heart from sin and not from love...

-maura