12 November, 2006

If someone had written me as a character...

Up until recently I was never the kind of reader who compared her heroines to herself. This was until a friend of mine told me I was the 3-D version of one character, Elizabeth Bennett, from Pride and Prejudice. He was so confident in his analysis that I felt a great need to read the book. I was flattered, on the whole, that he thought I had the personality and social skills of Elizabeth. In the novel she’s not perfect but she’s well-spoken, convictional, funny, and smart.
I’ll take that.
But after reading the rest of Austen’s lovely novels I have come to decide that I am not a carbon copy of Elizabeth. Unfortunately (I suppose that adverb is debatable) I found that I identified with Emma in some ways as well. So, ideally, I would like to think that I’m 99% Elizabeth, but I think its more like 60% Elizabeth and 40% Emma--with a smattering of Carrie Bradshaw mixed in--the TBS version of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

um. so are you available to talk anytime in the next few days? i am going to be in seattle for 4 days (thurs-sun) and can finally use my cell phone and i figure itd be better to talk to you that way instead of via my crappy internet phone. let me know.