06 December, 2006

"Jerks make the world go round."

It was suggested to me by a friend to explore the topic of heartbreakers in a blog. My friend didn’t use the word “heartbreaker” but she certainly could have. She suggested it to me b/c she experienced the painful and confusing brunt of a former boyfriend “opening up to her” and telling her he still thinks about her all day long but doesn’t pursue her because he’s a commitment phobe.

Her statement to me: “My heart can’t handle it.”

My question is: how does him confessing that to her benefit anyone?

One common theme that I’ve seen in my friends’ relationships throughout college is the-relationship-that-just-won’t-let-go. The guy who is best friends with a girl, gets her hopes up, then promptly dates someone else leaving her in the dust, but coming back every now and then to string her along and get her worked up again…or the guy who pursues, but then let’s things go indefinitely unspoken, never solidifying any commitment…or the guy who breaks up with the girl only to turn around and act like nothing has changed in their “relationship.”
I’m sure we’ve all been guilty of it: feeling so inclined to say that one certain thing to get the rejected party’s hopes back up (however true it may feel in that moment), only inside knowing you will never give him/her what he/she is hoping for.
It’s selfish.
It’s very, very selfish.
It’s putting one’s own ego ahead of someone else’s heart. And it’s not right. I see this a lot in the male sex, but I know girls do it too. I know I’ve done it.
And that’s pretty shameful.
So all I’m saying is, sometimes saying less is more.
Instead of saying you care about someone, or that you were thinking about them, show them love by putting their needs above your own.
I really do try to refrain from using my blog as a soapbox but this was one that was worth stepping up, whatever ridicule it may elicit.

So I want to encourage you:
Take a step back and ask yourself if the words you are dying to say to that person (to elicit some sort of comforting, ego-stroking response) will benefit them in any way—or if it might just stir up hopes, desires, and feelings in them that you have no intention of fulfilling.
So let’s all do the right thing—let’s put others ahead of ourselves.

“Love is patient; love is kind…love is not selfish.” –1 Corinthians 13.4b-5a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bonhoeffer talks a lot about what human love should look like in Life Together and, wow, it really made me see how selfish i am. how selfish we all are at times. have you read that book? i think you'd like it.

i hesitate to even make this statement because i know it isn't fair to lump all guys into one category, but my own personal experience has been that guys really do not understand the value that words hold. especially college boys... it seems like empty promises are made so often, but i had to realize that they didn't mean to be so awful, they are just still so young.. we are so young... and like we really know what life is all about or what we even want.

so yes. words mean a lot. be careful with them. realize college is a really huge learning experience and this includes doing/saying/planning lots of things that end up falling short of what God has for us when we leave that place.

wow this was long- you made me think :)

can we please do fido's over your break? i get in 12/23

John C. said...

firstly, great post. i totally agree, as usual.

and secondly, this post reminded me of a great jimmy eat world song. amazing lyrics..

_____

Jimmy Eat World - Your House

When you're on
I swear you're on
You rip my heart right out
You rip my heart right out

I think the whole room
Can hear me
Clear my throat
You rip my heart right out
You rip my heart right out

If you still care at all
Don't go, tell me now
If you love me at all
Don't call

Then out of nowhere
Put me right back there
Rip my heart out
You rip my heart right out

And we know
What happens when
We get to your house
Rip my heart out
You'll rip my heart right out

If you still care at all
Don't go, tell me now
If you love me at all
Please don't, tell me now
If you still care at all
Don't go, tell me now
If you love me at all
Don't call

I throw away everything
I've written you
Oh anything
Just keep my mind from thinking
How I've had you once
Oh, I can't forget that
Sometimes I wish
I could lose you again

You're winning me over
With everything you say
You rip my heart right out
You rip my heart right out

When I let you closer
I only want you closer
You rip my heart right out
You rip my heart right out

If you still care at all
Don't go, tell me now
If you love me at all
Please don't, tell me now
Yeah, if you still care at all
Don't go, tell me now
If you love me at all
Don't call
If you love me at all

_______

anyway. just in case you ever wondered what one of your posts sounded like in musical form. :)

jimmy eat world - your house.mp3 (right-click, "save target as...")

john