16 October, 2008

On a separate, less analytical note, today I went to the memorial service of a mother of dear friends of mine-Vicki Foltz. She was driving either to or from one of her daughter's wedding showers on Friday night when she suffered a brain aneurysm. A woman in seemingly perfect health one minute was gone the next.

Vicki was a brilliant artist. She was one of the first directors I ever worked with--a ten-year-old version of me performed in shakespeare's 'midsummer night's dream' if you can imagine that! I remember as a kid looking up to her and thinking, "Wow, I wanna do something like what she does one day!" I wasn't around tons of women in the arts so Vicki always inspired me.

Years later Vicki's life has made an imprint on hundreds through her plays, classes, and music. The people she has most impacted though are her kids. I've been friend with Brandon, Tyler and Cameron since I was about seven or eight. Cameron spoke today about how her Mom was her rock. She always lended an ear and spoke truth into her life. And also blessed her family with great home-cooked meals and many, many laughs.

What a legacy. Parenting is clearly hard work. I observed that firsthand last week. But it is also the single greatest way to invest in lives. Tonight when I had the joy of sitting down to a meal with my mom and dad I looked at the home-cooked lasagna in front of me differently. How many countless meals has my mom prepared? All with love. And a servant's heart. What a gift.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know exactly how you feel. I definitely looked at my mom a little differently after seeing the Foltz family. Vicki was amazing.