18 January, 2010

Beginning a career in acting...or something else absolutely audacious

Leslie and I have made this decision to read at least one book a month this year. Since I have more time this January I'm trying to do two. I know, I know I should be able to complete more reading than that. My brain likes to tip its hat at Attention Deficit Disorder so I read at a snail's pace. My mind gets bored focusing on one thing at a time. Nonetheless I wanted to share with you a little passage from one of the books I'm reading now: "How to Be a Working Actor" by Mari Lyn Henry & Lynne Rogers. A lot of the content is stuff I wish I had known before I pranced up to NYC last year. If you happen to be in college or graduating soon or are just considering a career change into the performing arts I do recommend you pick up this book. And apparently save $10,000 before you move to New York...not $900. Lesson learned.

"If you were planning a career in dentistry, archeology, or accounting in stead of performing, you would not be at all surprised to learn that establishing yourself requires the mastery of specific skills, as well as the investment of serious amounts of time and dollars. Yet show business, more than any other field of endeavor, is so loaded with legends of success achieved by accident, with tales of plucky but enthusiastic amateurs winning out over seasoned professionals, that it is frequently perceived as a fantasy playground even by those who make their living in it.
Every dramatic form has glorified the waif who gets off the bus in Los Angeles or New York with little more than a knapsack, a pair of tap shoes, and a load of moxie. She then collides with the powerful producer, celebrity, or agent who, struck by her artless quality, declares, 'You're what this tired old town needs,' makes a few phone calls and, in minutes, transforms her into a superstar. Doesn't that sound like the plot of a movie you've seen a couple of times? It's a wonderful story. Let's hope you can audition for the lead when they cast the next remake. In the meantime, let's not confuse that myth with reality."

Preparation + Moxie + Patience + Diligence = Success

Join me next time when I'll be discussing "What in the world does 'success' mean anyway?"

No comments: