25 January, 2010

Wellness Experiment Update 1

Well pals, today marks 3 completed weeks of the Wellness Experiment.

As I write I'm sipping on a glass of water enjoying a slice of Quiche Lorraine at the Muse (support local establishments!) and I've just finished an hour long strength and flexibility class at the YMCA.

While I'm pretty satisfied with the status of my eating habits I am really pleased with my newfound exercise routine.

I can already feel my body taking a more athletic shape and after only 3 weeks of consistent exercise it has already become a habit. (there is that thing about 21 days to forming a habit right?) I had intended to take both Saturday and Sunday off but after 1 day away I was already craving the burn by Sunday. So. Weird. Right?

Now I don't want to paint an inaccurate picture for you. After 3 weeks I'm not sprinting 5k's or benching 150.

I am dancing (Zumba=simple salsa, chacha and hiphop dance steps [and btw zumba is so awesome it deserves it's own blog post]), jogging/speed walking for an hour at a time, and taking Pilates & strength and flexibility classes.

Oh also I've been carrying around this nalgene bottle trying to drink water. 8 glasses of water a day still feels like a massive amount but if I drink it at lunch, dinner and while I'm doing my sweaty activity of the day I get pretty close.

I also relax a little on my rules on Saturdays. Life is too short to always play by the rules right?

Speaking of eating habits the primary thing I've cut out is the massive amount of sugar. When I decided to (get crazy and) get a sandwich and a small sweet tea at chick-fil-a this weekend I was shocked and dismayed at my reaction to the sweetness of the tea. Too sweet! Have I un-acquired my taste for liquid sugar? What am I without my passion for all things sweet tea?!

Anyway.

My energy level is up, up and away. I still like long nights of sleep but my research tells me some people just require more. So my 3 week update of Wellness Experiment in summation thus far:

1. I'm starting to drink water like it's normal and it's ok.
2. Exercise is fun and the energy reminds me of when I was a kid.
3. My pants fit a teeny bit better which makes me feel GREAT.
4. I'm getting used to ingesting less sugar and I like that even though I will always identify with the sweet tea culture.

In other news I will (hopefully) have good news to report soon about certain career-related topics but for now I'm not announcing anything.

I hope you are enjoying your own renewed motivation to get healthy! I heartily recommend it.

No comments: