07 January, 2010

Meet George Jetson...his boy Elroy...

Hello people of the future!

I mean, is it just me or does 2010 sound like the age of the Jetsons?! It is the future people.

This marks week 1 of the new year and with it brings moves and experiments and plans to make-oh my!

First of all: MOVES.
I am now (unofficially) living in Lynchburg, VA. The cute (read: frustrating) part is that mere days after I got all moved in I received word of 2 things: A) Liberty won't be giving me free undergrad classes B) UVA is discontinuing their well-respected MFA program. All that to say I'm in VA and I'm not sure why. Well, that's not true. For the next week I am here to spend time with my sis and bro-in-law while they're stateside. I feel really grateful that it's possible. For a big picture thinker/do-er/color-coded calendar-er such as myself I loathe the concept of floating through life. Decisions have to be made...even if my present options don't make my heart palpitate. I think that is called being an adult?

EXPERIMENTS!
Back when I was in New York I spent a great deal of time with my health-food loving uncle. I noticed his zeal for fresh fruits and vegetables. His kitchen was organic EVERYTHING. (Now, because he reads this and I cannot tell a lie--he does have a soft spot for sweets and breads. But there is way more healthy food in his fridge/cabinet than carbs.) After dinner one night in Astoria we walked by a little vegetable stand and began admiring tomatoes. While he was uber-sensitive of sounding too Jewish mother-y he expressed concern for my (what we'll call) poor eating habits. It's not that I ate SO terribly. It's just that I didn't give much thought to what I consumed. (and by "much" I mean "any".) The thought occurred to me that perhaps I would have more energy, stamina and better all over health if I actually make a concerted effort to make healthy choices. I thought I felt pretty good when I wasn't exercising, getting a normal sleep schedule and eating whatever was around. So maybe it's worth it to see if I do in fact feel that much better if I try to take care of my body. So I'm giving myself a month (for now) to see how it goes. Here's what I'm doing:

1. No carbonated drinks.
2. No sweet tea. (knife in my heart.)
3. 8 glasses of water a day (I'm building up to this one.)
4. Exercising 5-7 days a week. (Running, Pilates, Zumba, Strength & flexibility classes)
5. Nothing obviously bad like fried foods or burgers.
6. Veggies/fruit every day.
7. Committing to a regular sleep pattern. Midnight to bed. 8 am to rise. (I like to sleep 9 hours but as an adult I shouldn't need to. I'm thinking the 9 hrs results from my unhealthy lifestyle.)

So if you want I'll update a little here and there on the Wellness Experiment. We'll see if doing healthy things really makes a difference in how I feel. I know this is unprecedented. Update women's magazines the world over!

PLANS TO MAKE!
Instead of resolutions this year I've assigned each month of 2010 a different focus-either a skill I want to learn, a trait I want to possess or a value I want to focus on. Obviously January is "Wellness." February is "Learning to (really) Cook." I got the idea from a blog I like & you may want to check out: Happiness Project

Also with the New Year came a slew of new books, movies, plays and trips I want to experience! I shall report back on all noteworthy items.

For now I'm going to go not eat a cookie.

3 comments:

Shaunna said...

thinking of you, friend, as you make those many decisions! interesting how the journey takes unexpected turns. there's always a room at the davis casa for you when you find yourself in nashvegas :)

Jeff Carl said...

drumroll please.

crash.


we're the same.


oh wait, we already knew that. I like your stance on this new year. I'm taking a very similar approach to life right now and am happy that I'll have someone to bounce thoughts off of in regards to such things.

Sorry to hear about the "bad news" portion of this post. I'm curious to talk to you more about it and hear your possibilities. I have some news myself regarding my "plan." I'll be back in the Burg on Tuesday I think.

Kate said...

Hi friend...even though things are turning out exactly how you had planned, I am glad you are in Lynchburg!

I wish that we worked out at the same gym so that we could go together!