22 July, 2005

Colorado Update...Week 7 style...whicky whicky.


Hellllooooo…

I think I say this every week in some form, fashion, or disguise but I honestly-speaking cannot believe a whole week has gone by and here I am at the end of week 7 of this 8 week experience called Focus on the Family Institute. I started mourning the ending of this beautiful summer about two weeks ago (truth be told, when it was halfway done) but now as the time truly closes I have begun to accept the beginning of the end and I am enjoying the idea of leaving this place having a much greater grasp of who I am, whose I am, and why I am here. This week two assignments I have had to complete have been “My Life’s Mission Statement” and a description of “The One.” And no, I won’t be posting either on here for fear of weird stalkerey boys searching for a wife or for fear of looking overly zealous in putting myself out there. :-)

On to the past week’s events…

Last Friday night all of the Focus students went to the “Flying W Ranch” where we enjoyed true country cookin’ and live country music. I know you were about to say “Oh I bet you LOVED that, being from Nashville and all!”

No.

The only song I knew that they played was “Mariah,” a song that I knew from singing it in a review of songs from musicals.

Go figure.

Saturday I saw the new Johnny Depp-style “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” which was pretty Michael Jackson-esque weirdly trippy. It held my attention mostly, but was well….really odd.
I can’t even tell you if I liked it or hated it. It was just….really odd.
Saturday night I had the pleasure of being treated to pf chang’s by Jenny’s dad and step mom. Always a joy to be treated when one is an unemployed college student…

Sunday afternoon as I was riding with my friend Josh to the house of the President of FFI (for dinner with half of the students) we found ourselves lost. Not just a little bit lost. Like twenty miles lost. So a 15 minute drive definitely turned into an hour and 15 minute drive. I’m learning that getting lost doesn’t bother me like traffic does, and not being punctual doesn’t bother me like the feeling of missing out. Hmmm…

This week in class has probably been the most interesting yet. We are steeped in to our marriage class. Monday we even had a double header. 3 hour class in the morning and then 3 more hours after lunch. We’ve studied and discussed personalities, gender differences, the effects of spiritual warfare in marriage, finances, communication skills, and sex. Tomorrow is the last day of class. Today my assignment for reading was “Finding the Love of Your Life” by Neil Clark Warren. Also the founder of eharmony.com. Although being raised in a Christian home and being uber-involved in youth group definitely fostered an atmosphere of marriage awareness and “make your list, girls” I have become aware that my tastes, desires, and needs have changed over the years. It has been a very helpful process to pray through what I feel my life’s call is and to ponder what characteristics I’m looking for in a husband. I feel like I knew a lot of this before, but my view has changed from telescope to microscope. Like, the Lord has helped me pinpoint where I’m going and why. It’s been a really fulfilling thing.

On the social end of things I’ve had some good eats and good conversation this week. Today was my friend Keri’s birthday (Jenna’s roommate) so we went to a place called Giusseppie’s Depot for dinner. Apparently it used to be the train station here in Colorado Springs. Afterwards we went to my favorite spot in town, the look out point at Palmer Park. Once again I was completely moved by the handiwork of our Creator Savior. Simply breathtaking.

Some of you I will see in 1 week. Others I will see in 2. Others still I will see in just a month. I can’t wait to spend time with you all face to face again. I do immensely treasure these relationships God has blessed me with. I love y’all.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hil -

This summer I have learned that your writing is so like your life -completely transparent and honest. I appreciate that. In less than six hours I will be traveling to a certain Sutton household in Nashville - so excited - and so wish you were going to be there!!