14 July, 2005

Who knew there was so much I didn't know...

My sixth week in Colorado began wonderfully with a weekend visit by my parents. There’s something so great about worlds coming together and people witnessing your experiences. Anyway, while my parents were here I got the opportunity to take them to class with me (the topic of class that day was Singles and Dating, of course) and take them to a Denver Rockies game (they got smashed by the Padres). We enjoyed the game (although it was a bit slow) but enjoyed the Cheesecake Factory even more. Mmmmm…
Saturday Jenny came along with us on the cog ride up to the summit of Pike’s Peak. We ascended to 14,111 feet. The altitude definitely affected me as I found myself becoming a little loopy and having trouble breathing. It definitely wasn’t a feeling that I’d like to have on a daily basis.
From Pike’s Peak you can see hundreds of miles away, even into the next state (Kansas, if you were wondering). Before we got into the cog we were warned that at the top it was about 40 degrees cooler. We didn’t realize that it would also be SNOWING. I have to tell you, experiencing snow in July was quite an interesting thing…I felt like I had been transported to another hemisphere in the short hour that it took us to ascend up the mountain. God’s creation is so cool.
Sunday was Jenny’s 21st birthday. The celebration was a bit weak as it was drowned out by a Christmas in July party that our half of the Focus students had. That morning I took Mom and Dad to Woodmen Valley Chapel, a satellite church where we heard great preaching and experienced beautiful worship through music. The worship leader did a Phil Keaggy-esque song he wrote where he looped percussive sounds and harmonies just using the pick-up in his guitar. I love when the people of God get a little creative. Granted, Phil Keaggy probably thought of it first, but it was definitely a reminder to me to think outside the box and give God my best. I know I am capable of thinking more critically, working more diligently, and being more creative, and God deserves for me to apply those things to His glory. So anyway…
Sunday after church I took mom and dad to the Garden of the Gods and REI (which is my new favorite store, yeah I bought Chaco’s…totally becoming a mountain girl…right). My parents loved seeing the huge rock formations at Garden of the Gods up close. They really are pretty mind-bending. While at REI I got a big panoramic poster of Pike’s Peak and the Garden of the Gods which I will promptly hang in my new room at Montview Forest--should you be interested to see it ever.

To learn about what happened/what I learned on Tuesday…scroll down a few entries…’how are you living out your faith?’

Tuesday night all of the Omegas had our family picnic at the Garden of the Gods. Not only was it a great time of hanging out and talking it was also an amazing backdrop to experience worship. We were singing the song “Indescribable” by Chris Tomlin, and I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed by this God who created these huge natural wonders behind us. I can’t really say much more than that…it was just an awesome time of worship and fellowship. I feel so blessed and humbled when the Lord lets me sing and play guitar to help others worship Him through song.

Wednesday night all of the Omegas were invited to Jeff Abel’s (the guy who is over our resident advisors…whatever that makes him J ) for his “famous pasta dinner.” Little did many of us girls know, all the guys came over early to help and serve us. We were greeted at the door by two gentleman. Our orders were taken, our drinks were served to us, our food was prepared for us all by Jeff and the boys. It was such a sweet way for the guys to serve us and show the love of Christ. A few of us have something planned to say thanks…like, would the boys ever really make themselves cookies and brownies? No. They couldn’t survive without us.

I’ve been noticing the last few weeks just how imperative it is for me to wind up with someone who is intelligent, a learner, and engaging. As sort of a test I have been scanning Liberty’s facebook in hopes of finding someone (who I don’t already know) who reads interesting books (OTHER than Blue Like Jazz…geez) or who simply doesn’t misspell words.

So far. I got nothin.

Today right after class I’m going with Jenny to a Younglife camp a few hours away called “Crooked Creek.” It should be a very scenic route and it’ll be fun to go and see Walker AND to see what this Younglife stuff is all about…

One thing that’s been cool about this summer is to simply experience life out of my two comfort zones: Nashville and Lynchburg. Many students at Liberty remain at Liberty for years (most kids stay more than 4 years I think…) and I really believe it’s a comfort issue. Many are fearful of the next chapter in life so they simply stay and double major…or triple major…or go to grad school….at the same institution they’ve been studying at for 5 years already…not only is this limiting them to only have one place to experience life as a young adult, for some it also displays a fear of stepping out and trusting God. If I’ve learned anything while being in Colorado (a place I had never been before) studying alongside 78 students from some 60 colleges, is that there is a huge wide world out there to experience. As amazing as my friends and family are, there are so many more things to see and people to meet! After chewing on all of this, this may seem unrelated (it’s not) I have been reevaluating just how long I’d like to stay at Liberty. I had considered staying for 4 years of undergrad and then going on to even do grad school maybe. I know I’m a little ahead in credits so I started looking at what my graduation requirements are. I’ve decided to go ahead and take most all of my classes for my major asap, simply so I can be prepared if the Lord chooses to steer in me in another direction in the next couple years. I’m beginning to grasp the breadth of the statement, “When you’re young you’ve got the world at your fingertips.”

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Wow. I'm totally enjoying your blog this summer Hil. How cool it is to see how a change of scenery (especially amongst many "indescribable" wonders of creation) is something God uses to cast out fear (of the unknown) and bring clarity of mind...no wonder Jesus picked wonderous places of creation to retreat. Sorry random question that I just thought of--was it wonderous to Jesus or was He out there thinking, "Dang, I did a great job over there..."?

Anyway you rock Hil...so does REI!

Hilary said...

I guess I didn't see you since you went when you were 11 and you're approximately 20 now...blast time and how it marches on....