16 July, 2006

So you really wanna know?

Hello. It's me again. I know I know, it's been a hot minute--a long time since I've written. My life the past 9 weeks has not really been conducive to periodic updates. But lucky for us all, I am back in Nashville for the next month or so. So I shall now fill the world in on the happenings of one unexpected summer in pigeon forge, tennessee. Chronologically in summary form it goes like this:
May 14th: Mother’s Day. I arrived at Pigeon Forge. Watched a performance of Fixin 2 Rain. Felt slightly mind-boggling that soon I would be expected to have the show memorized.
May 24th: Opened Fixin 2 Rain. Performance #1. Teared up a little during the finale because I really felt I had accomplished something. 10 days of 9 hour a day rehearsals left me tired. Especially when I got assigned the task of not only being a performer but also being the tech assistant to the guy in the bear costume and operating the remote control mouth. Had finally gotten over not getting to be in 3 numbers because I was the bear mouth girl. Had survived learning the show and actually came out with a good attitude about it. Whoot.
June 5th: My boyfriend and I decided to stop dating. We both happen to be in the show in Pigeon Forge. 6 more weeks. How Lord? What are You doing? I don’t get it.
June 9th: Go home to Nashville to sing at my friend Britney’s wedding. Contemplate staying. Don’t understand why it would be beneficial to come back to Pigeon Forge. After a conversation with Hannah, one with my mom, and one with God, I feel certain I am to go back.
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same thing.
Somewhere around 2 or 3 weeks after that: Things are looking up. Beginning to remember and claim the promises of God. Remembering that in order to be dependent on the Father there has to be hard things. Thanking God for the hard things. Thanking God for a promising future. My friend Joel tells me about how God answered his prayer to get money for school. I begin humbly realizing the magnitude of God and how I am stupid to forget how provisional He is. I start praying in faith, and believing God.
(Still) Somewhere around 2 or 3 weeks after that: Moved from the Annex (ghetto old motel) to the cabins out in the Smoky Mountains. Thanking the Lord for amazing digs (own room, kitchen, cable tv, big comfy couch, and a hottub) and loving my new roommates.
Last week of June: I watch an episode of mtv’s MADE and get inspired to be a life coach or something. I’ve figured it out. The two things I love and must do in life: invest in people and express myself.
Sometime around the end of June/beginning of July: All four of my roommates come to me separately and confide in me (and/or) ask for advice. I am reminded of when Beth Moore spoke at the Passion Conference and first got me thinking about how counseling is a life changing profession.
First week of July: Eat dinner with my friend Lacey. She tells me about the faith journey God has had her on. I feel more encouraged and more sharpened than I have in months—maybe a year. She tells me I have a real knack for asking questions. She tells me my interest in people is rare…unique.
4th of July: Go home and have a good time with family.
After 4th of July: Come back to Pigeon Forge to enjoy time with friends and finish the run of the show. Find out LU theater is doing my dream show, Little Women at Christmas time.
July 15th: Complete show #58. I actually finished the summer. I completed it. Begin tearing up in finale once again because I’m in awe of God’s faithfulness.

Lyrics from “Rain, Rain, Rain” (from Fixin 2 Rain)

We have so many things to learn
of God and all His ways
Of right and wrong a simple song
of faith and hope and praise
But God in all His mercy
reaches out to love us still
A gift from Him our debt is paid
and on to us His blessings laid.

Rain Rain Rain
Mercy drops are falling
You can hear the angels calling
Calling from above
Rain Rain Rain
Heaven’s Highest Glory
Reminding of the story
Covering with Love


Thanks God.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

hey hil, missed your regular posts this summer. I'm glad, however, to learn of the places God has taken you in your spiritual journey these past couple of months. I'd love to hook up for coffee soon if u'll be in town for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hil, it sounds like God is doing some really big things in your life! Your openness to the spirit is a real inspiration!! Love you!