02 September, 2008

Fido, Waterguns, and Friendlationships


I write to you today from my favorite coffeeshop in the world. And by world I mean...

World.

Fido.

And I just found out (I'm such a Cha-Cha'er) why it's called Fido anyway. Humor me and read the following:

"According to legend, coffee was discovered in the Sixth Century by an Ethiopian goat herder who was trying to find food for his herd during a long drought. We figure that Kaldi must have had a dog. We named our cafe "Fido" after this heroic dog unjustly overlooked by history. (It didn't hurt to have a really cool old neon dog sign on our roof to provide us with an almost free logo)."

Freakin awesome.

Anyway, I've been having one of those weeks where thoughts have been swirling around in my mind so much for the past few months that they are beginning to actually make sense and explode out of my ears like waterguns. (my ears being the waterguns) I'm talking strong waterpressure too. There are so many thoughts shooting out I'm actually talking about being a human double barrel watergun as opposed to discussing the thoughts themselves.

The point?

Ever since my first return home from college in 2003 Nashville has been a place where the dust settles and I get clarity. The longer I stay away the weirder it is coming back here. The less familiar, the more it seems like a past life...etc...As I've gotten older rather than be a place that brings clarity like it did when I was 18 it reminds me of how much I've grown up, changed, how much I've seen, experienced, lived.

It's wild.

And coming back and being around people who knew me in the 90's or Y2K or whatever remind me just how far i've come...or gone? It's wonderful to be loved just because. Not because of what you do or what you say or what you've accomplished or who you've impressed. Just because you're family, or friends or a child of God. Ya know?

This week my friend David (who's AWESOME) moved to Nashville. He's like my first college friend who has relocated to Nashville. Nashville is akin to Antebellum America and David represents like...FDR. It's kind of cool to have someone from your new life infiltrate your old. You know what i mean?

Here's another weird thing about my life right now...as of this week I officially don't know what anything in my future holds as far as work and living location next week. This weekend I'm going to an audition that I hope will nail me a job or two for the upcoming months. If it were the right situation it could be anywhere. Theatres in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, the North (we'll lump that together), Disney, cruiselines...they will all be there hiring.

I've also recently recognized that my values in life are somewhat paradoxical. I value consistency but spontaneity. Commitment but freedom. Adventure but routine. Dependability but surprise. Marriage but singleness. The open road yet home. I think I've decided what i 'really want' in life will smack me in the face one day and I'll go "Ohhhh..."

Also, I've come to be a fan of politics. So weird right? Once upon a time I really could care less. This Presidential election is so fascinating to me. The history making candidates are so exciting. I hope the economy experiences an upturn after the election. I think it will. I think Sarah Palin is cool and I wish her daughter weren't pregnant. I know (on a suuuuper small scale) what it's like to be in a fish bowl and I'm thinking this situation suuuuucccckkkkssssssss for her. So I'm thinking of her. I'm impressed she is keeping the baby and manning up. I hope her mom is the VP. And I hope we get out of Iraq soon.

Do you think guys and girls can't be friends? I read a great article about the importance of same-sex friendships and I loved it until it was used against me. I think you can be friends with members of the opposite sex. I know intersex friendships can result in pain sometimes...and my heart really aches about that one. I know what it's like to feel rejected, hurt and disappointed. And I hate that anyone ever feels that way. Why can't we just be perfect, mmmmmm???

Whenever I finally have a yard of my own I'm gonna plant a garden.

Also, I've been chewing on the fact that my religion isn't about me. When I read the Bible I tend to read it like this:

(Hilary opens Bible)

Hilary thinks: Ok God, what do you want me to do?

When in fact I should be reading it like this:

(Hilary opens Bible)

Hilary thinks: Ok God, show me who you are!

See the difference?

I heard a great sermon on Sunday at Midtown Fellowship. I'm gonna point out some of my favorite points with my pointer finger to you (the pointee). I'm just kidding...i just got on a roll...anyway I was about to quote the message here but i want to get it exactly right which involves me going home and opening my journal. Ok...I'm going home before rush hour gets crunk...

3 comments:

Ashli said...

I just freakin love you Hilary Lynn.

Hilary said...

Well I love you too! That works out good. :)

Sarah said...

I honestly have to agree with Ashli. I loved reading this blog entry. In fact, I love reading them all. I'm praying for you too. I love you!