16 September, 2008

Musings on unemployment, people, and "home"

Hey hey blog world.

I have been itching to write but for the past week or so had determined that I had no news for you. Nada.

*Before I start I have to tell you that I happen to be watching G's to Gents on tv right now and they are having breakdowns. And g's + breakdowns = justawkward.

Anyway.

The item of business that has been occupying my time/thought/attention/obsession lately is work. I have decided to stay in Nashville from now until Christmas time. This appears to be the perfect time to work alot and save alot before a potential move in early '09 (Fla or NY or Youneverknowtiligo).

To give myself a personal pep talk as well as let you in on the many, many positions for which I've been applying I am displaying them in list form.

Jobs applied for:
-Server at Cheesecake (even though I’ve never been a waiter)
-Anthro (well I gave them availability)
-J. Crew (although I didn’t follow up later)
-A smile model for an expo this weekend
-A hostess for a construction company's skybox at the titans stadium
-a receptionist position
-portrait model for photography class
-human resources assistant for macy’s
-actress in music video
-actress in another music video
-extra in ‘restaurant footage’ (I don’t know what for)
-assistant at a real estate office in hillsboro village
-brand ambassador
-data entry clerk

I've applied for all these within the past 5 days so hopefully. something. will work out. soon.

I just can't handle a purposeless life! Now I feel like I need to counter that with a positive statement: I have been blessed to be in my parents house where rent is free, coffee is made before I wake up, and the kitchen is always open (so to speak). Also I've been able to do some things for friends and family who need the extra help. That's been nice too. But now I'm ready to work. Work work work. I haven't had a 'day job' since December '07 and I've decided that if I'm going to be in Nashville and not acting for the next 3 months I am going to take dance classes, go to yoga/pilates consistently, travel at least once a month, and make some good money. So now that I've decided that...it's time to get to work! Ugh!

Oh. Also. I made another list (I like lists. ALRIGHT.) that are positions I'm considering applying for (if you have feedback, by all means throw it back):

-a family from Two Rivers asked if I wanted to go along with them to Destin and help watch the kids for a week in October
-server at CPK
-trying to get my foot in the door doing session work
-(tryingtogetmyfootinthedoor) recording demos
-signing with a talent agency where I would be an extra in films
-substitute teaching
-tutoring
-teaching guitar lessons
-providing coaching for high school seniors putting together a college theatre program entrance audition
-nannying? (although I would only like that if it paid better than what babysitters make)

So that's whats going on with me. Few epiphanies lately. My mind has primarily been occupied by a job. Although I have been thinking a few deep-ish thoughts:

1. It's not fair for kids (especially adult kids) to be guilted into making decisions based on the issues of their parents. If a parent does that, they are selfish.
2. Are relationships always salvageable? If you've gone through the ringer with someone, can you eventually have an ideal relationship?
3. I feel like the concept of having my own place and signing a year lease sounds fantastic. But maybe as long as I had a few months of notice, I wouldn't mind continuing the vagabond life. I think I just like a plan. But shopping at Ikea does sound so dreamy. I haven't lived in one spot for more than 4 months since 2004. Picture that.

That's all for now.

No comments: