28 April, 2009


Written on Monday 4/27/09.

Here I am blogging on paper again. Since it's paper we might as well call it journaling. Anyway, this time I'm writing from beautiful Bryant Park--a block east of Times Square.

To paint an accurate picture for you..

Smell? Grass.
Sound? Many conversations mixed with the running water of the fountain behind me.
View? A grassy lawn and beautiful botanical potted tulips and shrubs.
Feet? Up, honey. On a chair opposite me. :-)

Urban living is a contradiction in so many ways. People fear moving to the City because they think they're going to have to give up the outdoors, grass and sky. But for this suburbanite--this sounds horrible--sans car I've probably never spent more time outside. Parks and places to enjoy great weather are convenient. A trip to the park doesn't have to be in the plans. It can be a stop off on the way somewhere else, a place to kill time, or a place to enjoy a TBM from Cosi (that's my suggestion).

Yesterday was a fun full day. Saturday night after I got off work (midnight) I went over to Patric's where we proceeded to the fire escape and had one of our fantastic pondering the universe conversations over Koolaid and pizza bites.

The next morning I visited Redeemer, a church that meets at Hunter College. The music was classical in style and the preaching was both inspiring and thought-provoking. I'm not sure I buy into reformed theology but hopefully that won't get in the way of worshipping, learning and meeting new people.

After that I got to accompany my friend Hanley to game 6 of the Stanley Cup at Madison Square Garden! Little known fact: I LOVE attending hockey games. We had a-mazing seats right behind the goal on the 2nd row. Hanley's family has season tickets and I have a really nice friend. :-)

One thrilling fight broke out right in front of our seats. The whole thing felt very medieval in a way. Like dueling/the Gladiator/a cock fight. I loved it. I had a fabulous time at the game despite the beating the Rangers received from the Capitals (5-1. ouch.)

* * *

It's now about 2 hours later. I left Bryant Park and returned to the Equity building where I had been instructed to return to in hopes of being seen. When asked, the Equity monitor was quick to inform me that there was a list of 60+ equity alternates that were ahead of me in line so no such luck Wah wah. Sidenote, I think I will blog about all the union mumbojumbo I oft reference at some point so you who don't speak theatre can have a reference.

If only it had rained today. So many people would've stayed home. Anyway, for now I wandered down to Herald Square where I'm enjoying my first Mocha Frap of the year. Yum! I'm also writing, thinking, texting and plotting out what I am going to do with my time the rest of the week.

A friend of mine and reader of the blog Katie asked me today if I've gotten to attend any auditions lately. I just realized that while I talk about life here in NYC sometimes I leave out the auditions I've attended! Last week I went to an audition for the upcoming national tour of 101 Dalmatians. I was aiming for one of the puppy roles--not sure if I pass as a middle-schooled aged dog or not. And today I auditioned for the Arizona Broadway Theatre. Notable shows they are doing include Footloose, Anything Goes and Phantom (not the Webber version). Thursday there are auditions for the Grease nat'l tour, South Pacific on Broadway, and another regional theatre. Next week I have an audition for an equity children's theatre in Washington DC, a national tour of Cabaret and a few other equity jobs. Still to come in May are A Little Night Music on Broadway, the Beauty and the Beast national tour, and a chorus call for Wicked.

Also, you would think men in this town have never seen a girl in a dress. Today I left my apartment makeup done for the audition, lipstick on, blue dress on and it was almost uncomfortable how many comments I got from appreciative members of the opposite sex. And I looked classy, dang it! Whatever.

3 comments:

Cbell said...

And my question is whether you are indulging in any acting or movement classes on your off day! LOVE the blog!

Cbell

Hilary said...

CB thanks for commenting! I actually am in the process of taking some classes. My parents birthday gift to me is a month's worth of classes. I'm either going to take them through the Stella Adler school or Actors' Connection. Trying to figure all that out just now. But also I'm beginning to go to an auditions class on Tuesday nights. It'd be a shame to live in this city and not take advantage of the amazing and vast educational opportunities!

Jessica said...

Cute! I love your blog! Thanks for keeping me up to date. As for the dress and the compliments, you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy!