25 June, 2005

Colorado Update Part Last


Ok, so Wednesday came and it was the day James D. was rescheduled to meet with us. I was all worried he wasn’t gonna show (and apparently he’s only in Colorado Springs for 5 days all of June and July) but alas he did and it was wonderful. The 78 of us students had the opportunity to spend 45 minutes with him and ask him any question we thought of. Some of the questions were great and some were stupid, yet he still seemed to find great answers for all of them. One girl asked him what he would deem his greatest accomplishment throughout life (which I would liken such a question to, how much money you make…a stupid/inappropriate question). And he turned the question back around and told her that “That is for someone else to say, not me.” He went on to humbly talk about how it would be “foolishness” to take credit for what God has done at Focus. He said that he wishes we could have been there every time there seemed to be a wall, and a door would all of a sudden appear. He was not only inspiring and charismatic, this man is night and day from what I am used to with the leadership at Liberty. (No names of course :-) He was genuinely humble. And that spirit of authenticity trickles down to every person who works at Focus. It is quite an inspiring place to be. Oh and also another cool thing happened…he said “one more question” and I was raising my hand practically to the ceiling and he was like “You there down front” and pointed to this other girl…uber-bummer. On top of that, the question had nothing to do with me or anything that pertained to all of us, so that was sort of irritating…but then boom, cool thing happened. He was like “I like this so much, how bout one more question.” I raised my hand so high I’m sure I looked like a freakin-idiot. But he called on me!!! It was fabulous. My question was, “Dr. Dobson, if you could go back and have a conversation now with your self at 20 years-old what advice would you give yourself?” (A murmure went out throughout the crowd...'oohh, good question'...'i know, i know.') It sounds funny but it makes sense I think…Anyway, he basically said that at 20 he had a head on his shoulders. He was on the right path spiritually, etc. He said that as he got a little bit older and his radio ministry really took off, he focused so much on Christian families, he didn’t realize how many potentially lost people might be listening. He basically said, he wished he had been more evangelistic in the early days. I hope that’s not my regret too…

PS—Another fabulous thing that happened on Wednesday is that my dad was voted First Vice-President of the Southern Baptist Convention, and he was sworn in. How cool! I’m so proud of him and I really wish that I could have been there. The convention is in Greneville, NC next year…which is not so exciting…but I’ll be there. With bells on. Anyway, I’m so proud of my dad and this new opportunity for him. Go dad go! Oh and one other thing happened on Wednesday night…I wrote a song. :-) Yay.

Thursday was a pretty chill day until late…Jenny and I decided to rock some pranks as two of our guy friends Josh and Rob were conveniently out of town. As immature as it is, we stole their underwear and froze it (we didn’t touch it though…so think about that…). It was hilarious. I’ll probably have pictures of that soon…Oh and on a more mature note...:-) I went to an open forum on women in the workplace. It was great. The phrase that stuck with me the most was this piece of advice: Always Be Present. Be present in the present in His presence.
I’m chewing on that one…

Upcoming events: Women’s One Day Retreat, Dad on Hardball with Chris Matthews: MSNBC Tuesday night June 28 at 7pm/eastern time, a possible trip to Aspen next weekend, and Mom and Dad coming to visit in two weeks.

So what have you been up to?

2 comments:

gwynne said...

wow, that was so much fun reading about all the stuff you have learned in just a short amount of time. i'm so glad you're getting to experience this, hilary! that always be in the present quote is GREAT! so many times i have found myself thinking to much into the future when it clearly states in the bible, to "let tomoorrow worry about itself." God is so awesome.

as for what's going on with me, check out my blog and you can read all about how i FINALLY got a job!!
love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Colorado sounds like a lot of fun, Hil! I am SO excited for you and love being able to see how things are going via your blog. I should call you... are you too busy for phone calls though? love ya girl