16 June, 2005

Happy Birthday John!


This is me with two of my roommates, Amy and Mary at the Garden of the Gods. That is Pike's Peak in the background. That water didn't last too long...within 15 minutes it was hotter than the temperature outside. Yuck! Posted by Hello

In other news...the Colorado Update you were all hoping for... :-)

Hello friends,

So I’ve basically decided that Thursdays will be my “Colorado Update” day. This is a special Thursday though b/c it is John’s birthday! Woohoo! He is currently on the road running sound for Liberty student turned aspiring Christian artist, Meredith Andrews (& band). He’s at a lake house today…must be tough… :-)

As for me, I went on my first Colorado hike today! Ow Ow! We went to the Garden of the Gods. It was beautiful! The Rocky Mountains are seriously so breathtaking. By the time we got to the top of the “Garden” (which is really a mountain and huge rocks) a huge thunderstorm-looking cloud was forming right above us…so we stayed, took a few pictures, and got the heck outta there. But it was great!

In class this week our professor, Dr. Del Tackett, has been discussing the Christian’s role in Social Order. Although his teaching style is not my favorite, the reading each night has been interesting to me. Did you know that Thomas Jefferson had around 7 illegitimate children? The Barnes & Noble within walking distance is quickly becoming an old friend. Though I’m still having trouble digesting 150 pages of content a night, I’m working on it.

The friends situation is shaping up nicely. My roommates are great, (greater than I expected) and I’ve started building relationships with two specific girls, Jenny Peck who goes to UGA and is from Knoxville, and Jenna Smith who’s from Memphis and goes to Samford. Kind of random that we’re all from Tennessee…but yeah, they’re great. And Jenna happens to be in the same sorority as Bonnie (the best friend). She said like, the day I met her, that she could tell that Bonnie and I would be great friends. I liked that. :-)

Tuesday night about 15 or 16 of us decided to be crazy and go to the midnight showing of “Batman Begins.” As a non-fan I wasn’t sure if I’d like it but I thought the whole excursion would be worth it for memory-making and friendship-building. And while that purpose was served, I hated the movie. I even TRIED to fall asleep in it. For a person who’s not too fond of the sound of flapping wings, it was semi-torturous. But, I did have fun hanging out with Mitchell, Amy, and Jenny. Good times despite stupid movies…

Tomorrow morning we have a mandatory chapel service at Focus. Michael Reagan, Ronald Reagan’s son is speaking. I’m looking forward to it. Saturday we’re going white-water rafting a few hours away which I’m pretty excited about. More adventure? Heck yes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a hot picture...almost as hot as your water....er...

Jeffrey said...

"Blessed are those you choose
and bring near to live in your courts!
We are filled with the good things of your house,
of your holy temple.

You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness,
O God our Savior,
the hope of all the ends of the earth
and of the farthest seas,

who formed the mountains by your power,
having armed yourself with strength,


who stilled the roaring of the seas,
the roaring of their waves,
and the turmoil of the nations.

Those living far away fear your wonders;
where morning dawns and evening fades
you call forth songs of joy."

Psalm 65:4-9

Hilary said...

Praise God...that scripture sure does bring back memories...2 summers ago, wow. Praise the Lord that you guys are still listening to Him so intently. He is truly the God of the Covenant.

Jeffrey said...

Yes yes...He is good and His love endures forever. For some reason the first line of the Shema just sprang to mind, so here it is too:

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." (Shema Yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai ehad)

To think, this Lord, this God who formed the mountains even higher than that of Pike's peak is the same one God who forms us with delicate intricacy...it is staggering!

You rock hil! i love reading your updates!

Heather said...

Hil,

I met Jenna S. @ Bethany's house in Memphis on Memorial Day - yay! I'm so glad you found each other :)

H.

John C. said...

thanks for the birthday mention! batman was definitely weak. meh. talk to you later..